Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Bizarre Bazaar

Catching my first glimpse of the Moroccan Bazaar in Marrakesh, Morocco, I was caught between mixed emotions of enthrallment and fear.Naturally, I was thrilled to have the chance to experience Africa but as we got closer to the entrance of the bizarre, I began to feel apprehensive about my eminent experience that was moments away. With every step I took, I found myself pondering a new and interesting observation that caught my eye.

The first thing I noticed led to a reversal of my somewhat calmed nerves.Looking around, I noticed the dressing habits of all the local people. The women were covered head to toe in what I would call ‘Authentic Moroccan Garb’ and similarly, the men also were dressed in ‘Authentic Moroccan Garb’ but in a less conservative fashion.
Before embarking on my journey to Morocco, I researched the city, which helped clue me into the dressing habits of the female population. Since Morocco is an almost exclusively Islamic society, it was clear that the women covered the majority of the body with clothing due to religious reasons. Knowing the geographical location of Morocco, the fabric of the clothing, linen, made perfect sense. Being a hot and humid environment, flowing linen clothes would provide more comfort and coolness than other types of fabric. Putting these facts together helped in understanding the culture of Moroccan dress and proved that hard work before a trip really pays off!

Passing my woes on wardrobe choices by affirming myself that other tourists have visited (and survived!) Morocco, I began to weave further and further into the bazaar.Exploring the inner depths of the tangled web of woven streets, I stumbled upon what seemed to be small food market. As I looked around at the locals bartering over the price of olives, I noticed a common theme in the foods. There were four major products: olives, fish, chickens (awaiting beheading), and spices.
These four foods seemed to be at every stand and being carried in and out by merchants and consumers. Again, thinking of the geographical location and climate of Marrakesh, these products made perfect
sense.The olives, which grow best in warm, moist climates seem to be a perfect fit for Marrakesh which lies approximately 100 miles from Atlantic ocean. Following, fish are also easily transported from the Atlantic to Marrakesh, which explains the abundance of various fishes. Being immediately surrounded by dessert like conditions, chickens can be easily raised and sold for profit. If you are interested in more information on the geographical landscape and various aspects of Morocco, click here! Again, I was amazed at how knowing the geography of the region could help me better understand the local cuisine.

After working (mainly shoving) my way through the food market, I felt like I would never reach the end of the bazaar and would be forever lost in the cramped quarters of the narrow streets. This feeling was quickly lost to ones of terror and grim as a motorized bike flying furiously through the middle of the street nearly mowed me down. As if there wasn’t already a lack of
space in the streets, it seemed common for drivers of motorized bikes to expect occupants of the streets to practically dive out of the way of zipping bikes. In one instance, I saw a young boy get hit by a bike as it ran over his leg and knocked him down.As the tour guide later explainedit, the young boy was at fault for ‘ignoring the horn.’ This brought to light the cultural differences that exist not only between Morocco and the United States but also between countries across the world. I was astounded that a pedestrian would be at ‘fault’ in any type of motor accident. This served as a perfect example of varying cultures across the globe.

As I continued my search for the exit, I caught sight of the bright light of the outdoors that gave promise to fresh air and freedom from the cramped, dingy market. As I exited the bazaar, my happiness was immediately replaced by sheer amazement. I was staring at snow-covered peaks of a mountain in the distance. I was completely shocked that there would be snow in Africa, yet alone so close to the hot and humid city! When I finally found a computer, I couldn’t wait to see what mountain range I had laid eyes upon.As it turns out, I was gazing at the Jebel Toubkal, the highest mountain peak in North Africa. Part of the Atlas Mountains, Jebel Toubkal has a peak at 4167 meters. This link contains great information on the Atlas Mountains. I couldn’t think of a better way to bring a close to my stressful, informative day at the Moroccan Bazaar than to take in the unexpected scenery of Marrakech, Morocco.
By Will Poindexter



Lava Land


For most of us, the closest we’ve ever come to a volcano was our 4th grade science fair project. We’ve read about them an seen pictures, but we are by no means familiar with the danger and the consequences of a volcanic eruption. For Santorini, the southernmost of the Cyclades Islands, the volcanic history and geography dictates their everyday lives still today.

Millions of years ago, the small island of Santorini, also called Thira, was actually three separate islands. The singular island we know today is the result of several volcanic eruptions, whose lava connected the islands together into a caldera, or crater, that was shaped like a full circle. Themost famous of these eruptions occurred during the Bronze Age around 1640 B.C.. Lava consumed what used to be the Ancient Minoan civilizationthat previously inhabited the land. It indirectly created a tsunami on the neighboring island of Crete, also inhabited by Minoans, wiping out theentire civilization.

Santorini lies near the joint between two tectonic plates, which cause earthquakes and eruptions when they move. With one of these movements in 1628, the western half of island caved in and water filled the caldera, leaving the crescent-shaped island of today. This created a calm 400-meter deep lagoon on the western half of the caldera, which is the only place ships can come in. The western edge is a 300 meter high cliff, with layers of lava solidified creating a stratified space on which main towns could be built. A fun face is that this volcanic rock or pumice is a great insulator, keeping these island homes cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The island slopes out from this center down eastward.

The volcano is still active but is in a dormant state. The last eruption occurred in the 1950’s, but today it only emits steam and sulfur dioxide. It is one of fifteen volcanoes named a “decade volcano”. This title means that it either presents a potentially high risk or is specially connected to human history of the world.
The economy of present-day Santorini has everything to do with its volcanic history. Today it’s primary industry is tourism. People are drawn to Santorini for its beautiful white and blue cityscapes overlooking the sea. They also come to see the multi-colored beachesranging from black to red to white. The color of the sand depends on which geologic layer of lava is exposed. This sand (lava) acts as a heat absorber making walking on the beach almost unbearable, but make the water the perfect warmth for swimming.

Much of Santorini’s specialties also directly result from the volcanic eruptions that formed the island. They sell volcanic-rock jewelry and pumice, which used to be Santorini’s main export. The volcanic ash in the soil deposits many minerals that give Santorini’s regional foods a special flavor. They are most famous for their sweet, cherry tomatoes, fava beans, white eggplants, and cucumbers. It’s location in the Aegean Sea also provide a great sea food market, most known for fish and octopus.The volcano also attracts the geologically-interested. There are daily boat tours which circle the volcano and stop at the tiny islands off of Santorini.Scuba diving and snorkeling excursions also go out to the volcano to explore the rock that remains.


If you’re looking to expand your knowledge of volcanoes or check out geological sites, or even if you simply want a relaxing beach to catch some rays. Santorini is an excellent island on which you can do all of these as well as examine the everyday consequences of an ancient historical event.
By Marilyn Wickenheiser



Strasbourg – A city shaped by rivals


Saturday, May 29 – 2pm

It didn’t hit me until I was sitting on the Place de la Republique eating the rest of my day-old baguette. As I checked my map, I read the blurb about the large roundabout where I was enjoying my snack. My eyes began to quickly scan the short paragraph, but I was immediately captured by one sentence that read “the memorial (in the center of the plaza) shows a mother with her two sons, one who died defending France, the other Germany a traumatic experience for many people in Alsace during the two World Wars.”


I guess I didn’t think about where I was going when I nonchalantly hopped on a train in Luxembourg City heading south toward Zurich earlier that morning. I knew the name, Strasbourg, but the historical significance of the city and the region never crossed my mind. As I gazed at the memorial situated at the center of the circular plaza and inscribed with the words “A Nos Morts 1914-1918, 1939-1945, 1945-1952, 1952-1962,” information from AP European History slowly began to resurface.


The region of Alsace has been one of the most disputed territories in Western Europe. Situated along the Rhine River and on the border between France and Germany, the instituted region, now part of France, has been under the control of both countries. Conflict began soon after the region was given to France with the signing of the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648. During the two World Wars, in particular, Alsace the center of intense fighting. As I continued to walk around the memorial, and snap a few quick pictures, it was incredible to think about how such a tiny and seemingly insignificant piece of territory could be a source of so much conflict between neighboring countries. (http://www.visit-alsace.com/librairie/index.html)


The history of the region, but more specifically the periods of control by both France and Germany, has had remarkable influences on the culture of the city and region today. This was clearly evident as I strolled from La Place de Republiqe through the rest of the city. Hungry from a long day of walking, I stopped for a quick bite at a small café off of the La Place Borgire and immediately noticed the German influence. Scrawled on a small and worn-out chalkboard were the daily specials. The one that caught my attention was the spatzle – a traditionally German dish that was listed alongside more common French cuisine. Not only has the food obviously had Germanic influence, but the language and culture have as well. Most notably, members of the Alsatian community speak not only French but also Alsatian, a German dialect that has been highly influenced by French. In addition to language and food, the area has it’s own traditional costumes that are worn on special occasions. It is incredible that two biggest rivals in Europe have had such enormous impacts on the identity and culture of this tiny region. (http://www.tourisme-alsace.com/en/alsace-regional-identity.html)



As I savored my food at the cafe, I thought about the “must-sees” of Strasbourg and I found it interesting that the highlight of my day, and the city’s main attraction, the cathedral, was built prior to there even being a France or a Germany. The Strasbourg Cathedral de Notre-Dame is one of the most famous churches in France. Known for its intricate, lace-like façade, the church was known as the tallest building in the Christian world until the 19th century. As I walked through the church earlier in the afternoon I was in complete awe; the size of the structure was absolutely unbelievable and indescribable. Some of the most beautiful elements that I noted were the soaring pointed arches, the large stained-glass windows, and the interior columns that were all clear evidence to show that the Catholic church could be dated to the gothic period (in particular the 12th century). (http://www.strasbourg.info/cathedral/)


After snapping out of my remeniscing of the day, paying my tab, and stopping for an ice cream cone, I decided it was time to make my way towards The Palace of Justice, but more importantly, the Ciarus hostel. Back in my surprisingly clean room, I began to process my day in the city known for being at the crossroads of Europe. Thinking back on all I had seen, I realized how much history was encapsulated in one small town. From a 12th century gothic cathedral, to the reminders of the world wars, to the modern glass building of the European Parliament, it was clear to me that Strasbourg is a city that has been shaped by the past, and is sure to have a promising future.

By Rachel Barr



Culture Shock: Mo-rockin' My Mind

Thursday, June 10, 2010: Marrkech, Morocco

Before I arrived in the North African country of Morocco, I didn't have many expectations. I knew that we had planned a camel riding trip on the beach about three hours from our destination of Marrakech, and that was enough for me to want to go. However, as soon as we stepped off the plane around 8am on Thursday, June 10, I was overwhelmed with culture shock. As I took a whiff of the dirty-smelling African air and walked along the rocky brown ground, I looked at my other ten travel companions, and we all shared a look that said, "Where ARE we?!"

The eleven of us got on the bus with our travel guide to take us to our hotel. The ride was far from smooth-- I felt like we were riding through an earthquake and that our bus would collapse and/or explode at any given moment. Despite this brewing fear and growing concern for our safety, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. With every sight we passed, my jaw continued to drop. This was completely different from any place I had ever seen before.

Marrakech, the former imperial capital of Morroco, is also known as the "Red City," and for an obvious reason. Nearly every building is pink mud-brick, reflecting the ground and landscape seen all over the city. This was one of the first things I noticed when we finally arrived at our hotel, situated in the middle of narrow alleys and run-down markets with no street signs in the medina quarter, or old city. We immediately decided that we would be attached-at-the-hip to our guide-- there was no way we would risk getting lost in the streets filled by malnourished cats and dogs, beggars of all ages, and desparate venders trying to sell us their goods. After some research, I learned that a medina quarter such as the one we lived in is common in many North African cities. They are usually walled with winding, narrow streets. They were built by Arabs (Morrocans speak Arabic and are mostly Muslims) around the 9th century to hinder and puzzle invaders. This site explains and lists other medinas found in North Africa:http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/510065.

Our first tour of the city was of the largest traditional market and one of the busiest squares in the world, the Djemaa el Fna. Walking through the "souk" markets resulted in sensory-overload: there was so much going on, I didn't know how to react to the various sights, sounds, and smells. It would be impossible to recount everything we experienced walking through the square, and equally difficult to express how it impacts a person. This website, however, gives a good background for the square:http://www.marrakech-cityguide.com/en/sightseeing/street/jemaa-el-fna.shtmlreet/jemaa-el-fna.shtml.

The square is representative of the geography of Morocco, as the venders, artists, and performers display the goods found in the area, as well as the various cultural aspects of the city. We passed countless food venders selling fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats all found within the district- particularly olives and livestock. Because the city isn't far from the Atlantic Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea, and since Marrakech is surrounded by mountainous regions, these foods reflect the geography and economy of the area. In fact, 44.6% of Morocco's economy is based on agriculture (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.htmlww.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.html). However, none of these things were displayed the way we are used to seeing them sold in America. The food stands were an oasis for flies and other insects, and entire animals were hanging from the roofs of meat stands, giving a whole new meaning to "fresh." Outside the souk markets, the crowded square was filled with snake charmers, monkey tamers, acrobats, and musicians playing traditional Moroccan music.

After going through a rug store filled with thousands of luxurious hand-made carpets and browsing through various jewelry and woodwork shops, we stopped at, in my opinion, the most interesting shop in the market of herbalists, the Moroccan version of a pharmacy. There we learned that most people in Morocco don't use "common" forms of medicine, such as Tylenol or Aspirin, but rather rely on herbs and plants to cure a wide range of ailments, including acne, headaches, sinus infections, and dry skin. All of the herbs they used are found throughout the country, again indicating the geography of the land. We got to sample many of their products, including "black rice." In order to do this, we had to put the black seeds in paper, rub it to get the chemicals, and then inhale them through our nose. The 11 of us all giggled because we generally associate something like that with drug use. It was the strangest sensation as I inhaled: my eyes began to water as I stifled a cough. However, my sinuses were instantly cleared. Although we thought many of these practices were "weird," they are very common in Morocco. This is an interesting study I found where researchers studied the use of herbal remedies for diabetes in Morocco:http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/3/608.2.full.

We continued to walk throughout the souk markets and the square, and later continued the day visiting gardens and
seeing acrobatic performances while being treated to a VIP-style Moroccan dinner. The next day we visited a coastal city and rode camels on the beach. Overall, my experience in Morocco was by far the most educational and eye-opening experience that I've had this summer, and one of the most amazing times I've ever had in my life. Although I was completely out of my comfort zone, I loved every minute of our 48 hours in the country. I learned so much about a completely foreign culture and was able to apply several geographical concepts to my experience. Even if you don't get the chance to explore Morocco, another African country, or somewhere similar, I highly recommend learning more about lifestyles completely different from the ones we live in America. You might be shocked, but you won't regret it.

You can learn more about the culture and geography of Morocco here:https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.html
By Amy Klapheke



Greece's Identity: A historical meeting point of Europe and the Mediterranean

The Grecian identity is strongly tied to its history and to its distinct juxtaposition of the ancient and the modern. Greece has invested a lot in updating and tidying up their country and those that live permanently among the brilliant blue waters and ancient ruins are 93% ethnic Greek and 98% Greek Orthodox. This homogeneity makes for a very strong feeling of tradition and culture within the country both the mainland and on the Islands. Greeks continue to unite under their language Ellinika which uses the Greek alphabet, the oldest in the world. While luckily most words are translated into English as the Greek spelling can be very hard to decipher. As a society that has long seen traders and different leaders they are proud to be very open to visitors and will work to help bridge the language gap with a high portion speaking English.
Athens from the Acropolis

The food in Greece especially reflects their connection to the sea, and has a very Mediterranean style. This was the first location we traveled to during MUDEC that we really ate only authentic national dishes. They were extremely easy to find at really good prices. We would get a full dinner with drink for around ten euros. Our first night in Athens we ate at a rooftop restaurant outside at the base of the Temple of Nike, lit up and overlooking the city. The man that flagged our friends down on the street and called down the road for Marilyn and I until we appeared, was apparently also a musician at the restaurant. Greek women and even some men would spontaneously get up from their dinner and join the music for a traditional dance. It was really neat to see people celebrating tradition on their own accord, we usually witness tradition in a tourist or formal setting, this type of banal nationalism keeps their heritage alive in a sea of tourism.


We spent most of our time on the Island of Santorini, an Aegean jewel fabled to be the lost city of Atlantis, because of its history of being buried in volcanic ash. It has exceptionally fertile ground from the former eruptions and across the caldera you can still see the large active volcano that is the panoramic focal point for its renowned red sunsets. The geographical makeup has formed the city and you can look out across the sea from the winding cobble stone paths perched precariously along cliffs and lining the sunwashed cliff sunken houses stacked high above the beach. They are famous for the vegetables grown here such as tomatoes, olives and the unique white eggplant. The farmers have historically inhabited the upper reaches and now a days with the tourist industry and business of the coast there are also fisherman along the edges. This location allows for wonderful seafood at local prices, served still in its original form which took some getting used to for me! I usually prefer not to have my food stare me in the eye or high five me, even if it is on accident.
We really enjoyed the small feel of Perissa the town we stayed on in Santorini we would often run into tourists and workers from previous days who would greet us with friendly questions on how our excursions had played out. The pressure of the tourism business also means that many people recommend you to friends the man that sells ferry tickets to his friend that has a bar or our hotelier to her friend that rents atv's etc.
Our biggest mishap with the Sea and tourism came on the day we initially tried to travel out to Santorini from the port of Piraeus. Weary from 12 hours of travel the night before at 7 am we were already dreading the 8 hour ferry trip. We learned after many people avoiding the question that there was a solid strike by port workers that would last for the whole day. I think the morning was best described by the associated press, “Greek passengers booed strikers chanting slogans and blocking ferry gangplanks, while foreign tourists sat despondently on their suitcases.” While we chalked up the strikes to their more active civil unrest, it also showed how their economy is affected through the international programs being used to help pull them out of debt. This type of strike poses a real threat to Greece's economy with 1 in 5 jobs being in tourism many islands are very dependent on the summer tourists to keep their businesses afloat (AP). I found it interesting that according to labournet.net the IDC or International Dockworkers' Council has established a front against the European directive and over 90 ports have protested similar rights violations to the profession of dockworkers so in a way they have also shown unity through this strike. I found it interesting to see the ways that Greece acts as a bridge for Mediterranean states to the greater European population and how it continues to work to find its niche.

Santorini
To read more about the port and economic identity:
Tourists stranded by Greek strike in port of Piraeus:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10390221.stm

Greece: Five Days of Strikes in Last Two Weeks
Http://www.labournet.net/docks2/0506/greece3.htm


Strikers Disrupt Ferries in Main Greek Port:
www.goog.com/hostednews/ap/articleALeqM5iXUJvBknZ

For more on Greek Identity:
“Greece and the Mediterranean: Shifting Foreign Policy”- Dimitris Xenakis

Santorini Eruption and the Legend of Atlantis:
www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/santorini.html

Greece's economic woes are secondary to its crisis of Identity:
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper0122/12242628/world/2010/
By Catherine Krasner

No comments:

Post a Comment